President & Chief Compliance Officer
Nelson is a CPA, attorney and statistician with consulting experience in the areas of government compliance, fraud detection and prevention, Federal grant management (FEMA-PA, HITECH Act), interagency collaboration agreements and taxation.
CHIEF COMPLIANCE OFFICER, DIRECTOR OF STATISTICS & DATA MANAGEMENT
SAYNET, INC., SAN JUAN, PR, 2014 – PRESENT
Lead Grant Analyst, Puerto Rico Aqueducts and Sewers Authority (PRASA) FEMA PA Program,
Managed a team responsible for collecting, reviewing and maintaining disaster documentation and tracking progress of Project Worksheets in one of Puerto Rico’s largest government agencies, with more than 4,000 facilities.
- Expected to be $150 million project
- Over 200,000 documents
- Tracked validation and proof of payment for more than 10,000 invoices
Project Manager, Puerto Rico Department of Treasury,
Fraud Detection, Enforcement and Compliance,
Performed data analysis and statistical projections for the Puerto Rico Treasury Department with the objective of maximizing efficiency and effectiveness of collections, enforcement, tax audits and fraud prevention efforts.
- Dictated seminars to Puerto Rico Treasury Department auditors and Anti-Fraud agents on the use of statistical sampling methods in the investigation and audit process.
- Provided advisory to Puerto Rico Treasury Department personnel about interagency data exchange between Federal and State parties.
TAX DIRECTOR, TRCCPA LLC, 2014-2018
Compliance & Tax Director, Individual and Nonprofit Clients, 2014-2018
Responsible for clients’ Puerto Rico and Federal compliance, including permit compliance, tax planning, and accounting for income taxes.
- Deliver a full range of tax services in compliance with Federal, State and local laws and regulations within specified timeframes.
- Build relationships and interact with clients to provide excellent planning, consulting and expertise.
- Represent clients before government agencies to negotiate tax debts, request and obtain tax exemption decrees and economic incentives.
- Responsible for obtaining 501(c)(3) exemption for nonprofit organizations and supervising compliance and filing of Forms 990.
- Lead the restructuring process of Certified Public Accountants firm Traverso, Rodríguez & Co. firm into TRCCPA, LLC.
SENIOR TAX CONSULTANT, DELOITTE TAX LLP, 2009-2014
Compliance Department, Corporate and Individual Clients, 2009-2014
Coordinate and supervise government compliance for dozens of the largest corporations doing business in Puerto Rico (including retail, financial, insurance, pharmaceutical, manufacturing industries).
- Analyzed interplay between U.S. Federal and Puerto Rico laws
- Supervised team of 8-10 analysts in providing services to assist multinational entities meet their government and tax related compliance, reporting and other statutory responsibilities while identifying planning opportunities and providing specialized services to achieve cost efficiencies in line with the companies’ risk profile.
- Represent clients before Puerto Rico and municipal government agencies to obtain tax exemption decrees and economic incentives.
- Serve as mentor to new hires and interns to assist them in adapting to Deloitte’s organizational culture.
- Successfully completed tax senior training at Deloitte University in Texas.
INTERN, TRIPLE-S HEALTH INSURANCE, CO., 2007
Actuary/Underwriter, Group Insurance Policies, 2007
Worked in the actuarial and underwriting department for group insurance policies within the largest insurance provider in Puerto Rico.
- Evaluated and measured risk factors in order to determine the adequate premiums needed to insure particular risks.
- Analyzed claims data and assist in designing set of criteria to quantify how certain factors affected claims in groups.